Among various mole removal procedures, the one which is widely used is shaving. Shave excision mole removal is a classic and simple procedure that works efficiently to remove moles from your skin. A specialist will use a sharp razor to make a horizontal incision and remove the mole from the skin. Then an electrode is used to feather the edges of the excision to make the scar less noticeable.
A shave excision is a quick and hassle-free experience that will have you in and out of the doctor’s office in less than an hour.
Type of moles it is good for
In case of a mole or a skin growth, a doctor may recommend a shave excision to remove it. If the doctor suspects the growth to be cancerous, they will send it to a laboratory for testing. Shave mole removal works very fine with surface level moles that don’t go deeper into the skin.
How is a shave mole removal performed?
1. The target area of the skin where the mole is localized is treated with local anesthesia, which ensures that you feel no pain during the procedure. In addition to numbing the sensation of pain the anesthetic causes the mole to rise upward, making it easier to remove.
2. The mole is then cut off with a sharp razor using multiple horizontal cuts. As the mole gets shaved sequentially layer after layer you will feel a pushing sensation as the cuts are made.
3. After the razor incisions, electrosurgical feathering is used to help remove the remaining cells left behind from the growth. Electrosurgical feathering is performed with a small dermal loop electrode to shape the edges of the wound. This helps to minimize scarring by blending the edges of the wound with the surrounding skin.
4. By the end of the procedure when there is some bleeding aluminum chloride hexahydrate is applied on the skin to stop bleeding.
5. The shave excision site on the skin is then treated with a soothing antibiotic ointment to promote quick healing.
6. Finally, the wound will be covered with a sterile bandage. This will prevent the wound from being rubbed by your worn clothing, which in turn will also help lower the risk of infection.
Shave mole removal healing time
The healing after the shave excision method takes time. The site of excision on the skin must be kept
dry for 24 hours. A little antibiotic ointment is applied at the site. This ointment must be continued to be applied for about a week. The bandage protecting the excision site must be changed at regular intervals. It is important to protect the excision site from direct sunlight. As a sunburn can permanently darken the wound, making the scar more noticeable.
Will shave removal leave a scar?
After the excision mole removal procedure, a scar may be formed. The appearance of the scar can be lightened by applying different topical creams such as silicone gel or silicone gel sheets, vitamin A cream, vitamin C cream and petroleum-based ointments. A shave excision typically produces a less noticeable scar, unlike a full-thickness skin excision. In the later procedure sutures or stitches are required at the point of mole removal. Also, read our detailed article on how to minimize scarring after mole removal.
How much does it cost?
Shave excision mole removal is less invasive and less expensive than a full-thickness skin excision. The procedure should be used to treat superficial moles. The average cost of shave excision mole removal is between $150-500. To find cost for other procedures as well, see our detailed article on mole removal cost.
Pros of shave mole removal
1. The procedure is simple and cost-effective
2. Virtually pain-free
3. Has minimal recovery time, as there is no cut or stitches
4. Patients can resume normal activities shortly after laser mole removal
5. Minimal scar formation if cared properly.
Cons of shave mole removal
1. Once the mole has been removed you may feel some discomfort. In very rare circumstance, you may experience a burning sensation. An antibiotic ointment must be promptly applied to heal the wound. Other pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen are also recommended by doctors.
2. An electrosurgical dermal loop is used to close any cut blood vessel. If blood leak still continues from the wound then press a sterile bandage over it. Dress the wound with bandage in frequent intervals.
3. You must be alert if pus comes come out of the wound. Immediately consult a doctor. Infection, however, rare may still have occurred.
4. Sometimes after the procedure, there can be extreme tenderness, swelling or increasing redness.
5. Shave procedure can be followed by the re-growth of the mole. Contact your doctor immediately if a mole appears again as that may be a sign of malignancy.